On December 1, the internet will be inundated with posts hashtagged #GivingTuesday to mark the National Day of Giving. I cannot think of a good reason why this shouldn't be more than just a one day event! So often, we get lost in the shuffle of trying to plan holidays, making sure we get that extra special gift for someone, worrying about what outfit to wear to our next holiday party, etc, that we forget about the many others who would consider it a blessing to have these worries. I am sending this email out to all of you, in hopes that it will rally a response from you and your families to help me turn December into an entire MONTH of giving at Cheer Pride.
More than just teaching backhandsprings and cleaning routines, I aim to build our kids into thoughtful and caring citizens who feel empowered to effect change in their own communities. Alone, we can each do one act of kindness, but together it can grow to be something truly great! Please see the following initiatives that I am asking for assistance with, in order to make December our MONTH of GIVING! Feel free to share this with as many people as possible!
1. Infinite Cheer- Supporting Foster Children in All Star Cheer I learned of an All Star gym in North Carolina, Infinite Cheer, who works with their local child welfare agency to provide children in foster care with the opportunity to participate on an all star team at their gym. They provide all of the training and competition fees for the kids, but oftentimes they will have new kids arrive in their gym for a practice on the day of- with no personal belongings whatsoever. They keep a stock of donated cheer gear so that these kids can have something to wear when they come in. Recently, they've had a large influx of children join this program, and they have run out of donated items. I will be donating a good deal of old Cheer Pride gear to them, but I thought that we could do much better as a gym. Here is a list of everything they are asking for, their gym colors are purple and green, but they will take new and used items in any color! My best guess would be that most of you have some of these items laying around the house that your kids have either grown out of or are not interested in anymore! Their address is Infinite Cheer 1229 Perry Road, Suite 109, Apex, NC 27502. If you'd rather not deal with mailing it, you can drop it off at the gym and I will put it in with my shipment.
- Youth Cheer Shoes (we take used) 11- 2.5 - Adult Cheer Shoes (we take used) 6-13 - Youth Cheer Shorts S,M,L - Adult Cheer Shorts XS, S, M, L - Young Men's Workout Shirts M, L, XL - Cheer Bows
2. Donate Winter Items for Local Foster Children to CASA I have been asked by a family in our gym to assist them with collecting the following NEW items for Foster Children in our local North Jersey area. There will be a collection box at the gym for the following items:
3. Toys 4 Tots Drop-Off Site For the 3rd year in a row, we will also be participating in Toys 4 Tots. This year, we have been approved as an official Drop-Off Site, so any local donations can pass through our doors. Donated toys for boys and girls of all ages can be dropped off in the collection box at the gym.
4. Food Drive Again, for the 3rd year in a row, we are collecting non-perishable food items at the gym to be donated to the NJ Food Bank. There will also be a collection box for this at the gym. On Friday, December 18, we will host a "Friday for Five" Open Gym- pay either $5 or 5 non-perishable food items to attend.
If you are sharing any photos of these happenings on social media, please use the hastag #monthofgiving ! It may not catch on outside of our little sphere, but I'm really excited about the positive things that can happen with all of us working together towards supporting these causes! Thank you!